New academic learning standards have increased the learning targets for all children at all grade levels. First and foremost we need every child to be at school, on time, daily. Secondly we need every child to have a good night's sleep so that they are ready to learn.
We ask that families talk to their children about being respectful of classmates and school adults. This means conduct on the playground, in the classroom and around the school. Finally, we need parents to support time for homework that is free from television and other distractions. It is a school expectation that students should read each evening. In addition, we expect all students to be working on mastery of math facts. Children share many reasons why they can't do homework or why they are late, but we believe that school needs to be a priority and that all children should arrive prepared. It is our commitment to provide a safe and respectful learning environment and we need your help!
There are countless other ways that you can help here at Sharpstein. Here are some ideas:
- Present a talent, hobby, skill or activity that is of special interest to you.
- Volunteer as a library aide.
- Attend meetings on school issues.
- Join the PTA.
- Tutor children who need extra help.
- Go with classrooms on field trips.
- Read your favorite book to a class.
- Help in the school office.
- Volunteer to help on the playground.
- Help out in the computer lab.
- Donate books.
- Help raise money for special projects.
- Assist with materials preparation for classrooms.
- Mentor a student.
In addition to partnering at school, talk to your children about school. Communicate with teachers, as we understand that parents know their children best. Make school important and insist on good attendance and punctuality. Promote healthy habits and make sure your child gets plenty of sleep, exercise and balanced meals. Create an environment for learning in your home. Encourage reading, writing, science projects and math games by stimulating your child's creativity. We are here for your children and commit our best instructional practices to you and your children. Please let us know how we can help you best.